ISO 50001:2011 is the new International Standard for Energy Management Systems (EnMS), which has been designed in order to enable any kind or size of organisation, whether in the public or private sector, to establish the systems and processes to measure and improve continually their energy use, consumption, efficiency and performance. It provides organisations with a set of guidelines which help them to achieve reduction in energy consumption through a structured approach. This process involves:
– Identifying areas of high energy usage
– Determining improvement or cost reduction measures
– Forming and implementing a programme to achieve energy saving goals.
ISO 50001 incorporates energy management into everyday practices, while it is based on the Plan-Do-Check-Act model:
– Plan: Carry out the energy review and establish the baseline, energy performance indicators, create specific targets, objectives and action plans which are necessary to deliver results related to new opportunities in order to improve energy performance and the company’s energy policy.
– Do: Implement the energy management action plans.
– Check: Monitor and measure processes and the key characteristics of operations that determine energy performance against the energy policy and targets and report the results.
– Act: Take actions to continuously improve the energy performance and the EnMS.
With today’s rising energy prices, threatening climate change concerns and tighter legislation and regulation pressures, now is the time to invest in an effective Energy Management System for your organisation.
The benefits you could gain from becoming certified to ISO 50001 standard are: